Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Deather of Thursday morning.

Among other things, I'm a bartender. I don't think I've let this little fact slip through, and the only reason I mention it now is because Tuesday night was a big one for me. A month ago, I was invited to participate in a cocktail contest for "the" Rachel Maddow, host of The Rachel Maddow Show(s) on Air America and MSNBC. The invitation alone was a thrill, a sort of I-can't-believe-this-is-happening-to-me moment that inspired conceit and jitters and -- ultimately -- fear that I'd fail horribly and "the" Rachel Maddow would not come over to my house to hang out and watch Keith Olbermann. Hosted by the fine folks at Gothamist as a follow-up to this interview, the event was an intimate gathering of bartenders (nay "mixologists"), Gothamist staff, Ms. Maddow and a smattering of friends. The parameters for the contest were loose. We were asked to create a Scotch cocktail, and we were told Maddow was interested in moving beyond the Blood and Sand (a reference to the Prohibition-era cocktail made with Scotch, sweet vermouth, cherry brandy and orange juice). Knowing this, I veered away from sweeter liquors and created a riff on the classic Sazerac. I named my drink in honor of a current Maddow joke (which, I am pleased to report, made her laugh).

The Deather

2 1/4 ounces Scotch whiskey
1/2 ounce Lillet Blanc
2 dashes Highland Heather bitters*
Absinthe

Muddle one cube sugar and a wedge of fresh lemon with bitters.

Combine with ice, Scotch and Lillet.

Stir, and pour into an chilled, absinthe-rinsed martini glass.

Garnish with a lemon twist.

Gothamist reports the contest a tie, but I still feel like boasting. I got 5 minutes with Rachel Maddow. Rachel Maddow made me a cocktail. Perhaps the best news: The Deather will be featured on the fall cocktail list at Buttermilk Channel. For political reasons, I may have to change the name. The Maddow has a nice ring to it, no?

* Note: Artisan bitters made for Buttermilk Channel in Brooklyn. Can be replaced with the traditional Peychaud's Bitters.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

I can only say this.....We have a sweet ass party comming up celebreating many things. I'd like to say the best of all the things is the constant "birth of the Mios" I call for a drink in our honor to be made in our name sake. Your column is lovely today.

JJN said...

Tamara --

Thank you, and I couldn't agree more. I will begin work immediately.

Unknown said...

Birth of Mios? What is that, Tamara? Are you a birther now? Rachel wouldn't approve.

Unknown said...

I second Troy's question. What does that mean? "the birth"?

JJN said...

Troy and DeAnn -- It's a reference to a mix CD I made for Tamara years ago. I can assure you, neither of us are birthers (or deathers for that matter).

Marcia said...

Where does one find Highland Heather bitters? They sound interesting.

JJN said...

Marcia --

Sorry your question went unanswered. Highland Heather bitters are a specialty bitters made by a guy I know here in Brooklyn. I'm not sure they can be purchased, but I'll look into it and let you know. In the meantime, you can make this cocktail with one dash of Peychaud's bitters.