Saturday, September 5, 2009

Something happened today...

Happier than a pig...
Actually it happened Wednesday, and chances are if you read Our Daily Table on a regular basis we already know each other and are therefore connected via The Internets. Please bear with me while I pretend otherwise for a moment. Because something happened, and it filled me with joy and excitement and a little bit of nerves, too, which I think is a good thing. Wednesday, I had a little interview published over at Jauntsetter, a fantastic travel sight for New York ladies, but a friend of mine on the west coast was quick to argue it's useful for anyone who loves to travel, if for nothing more than inspiration. I couldn't agree more. In the couple months I've been receiving Jauntsetter's weekly newsletter, I've considered a heap of new travel destinations (like this gorgeous eco-retreat in Vieques, Puerto Rico). I've also spent a good deal of time reflecting on my own.

I've seen a few things, and writing about them made me want to see more. It made me want to take a few more photos and keep a better journal (because this memory of mine isn't getting any better). It reminded me of my desire to speak other languages beyond being able to translate a dinner menu. But the truly exciting part -- the part that has me happier than a pig in...well, you know -- is that it affirmed a decision I made about a year ago to alter the way I live my life. At the time, I worked so much I hardly had time for my family and friends, let alone a little time away from home. I had fallen into a trap, and I was not that happy. And so, I mustered up some courage and I changed. I quit my job, and I did a little soul searching. I got a new job, and I started a few projects (Our Daily Table being one of them). I learned the difference between "my job" and "my work."

The changes have not come easily; I'd say that I am -- like this blog -- a work in progress. But I'm getting there. One step at a time, with a little help from my friends, my eyes and my heart open wide. If you've made it this far, thank you for indulging me. Now, let's get back to that business of food...

6 comments:

Donna said...

You are a much better person because of the places you've been & the trials you've endured, my dear. Congratulations on becoming the great person you are today. I love you very much, Jenny!

Unknown said...

Here's to knowing the difference between "my job" and "my work," Jennifer Joan Nelson.

I heard a conversation yesterday about a guy who missed out on a good job because he chose to go to Scotland for six months. When he returned, the opportunity was no longer available. Someone suggested he made a mistake by going overseas, but my reaction was, "Wow, he got to live in Scotland for six months!!!!"

I'm proud of you for the life decisions you've made recently. Never apologize for trading work for family, the job for adventure, or indentured servitude for happiness.

Tamara said...

I am going to 2nd Mr. Troy Foster and say "well done, Miss Nelson" Your quest to prepare, present, and share your love of food is live long and you are on a nice path right now.

Unknown said...

Do I know the person whose conversation you overheard, Troy?

JJN said...

Donna, Troy, Tamara and DeAnn --

Thank you, endlessly. Your support means so much to me!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your tips and experiences....keep writing!