Saturday, July 25, 2009

Corn is a many-splendoured thing.

Snuggle corn 2
When I was in my early 20s, long before I fell for food, restaurants and entertaining to the point where I was utterly consumed by them, I dreamt up my first book of short stories, entitled (brilliantly, I thought) "Olives and Avocados." This must have been around the time I read "Like Water for Chocolate" because before reading that magical little novel I don't think I'd ever equated food and affection. Afterward, the two were so entwined it seemed only natural to name a collection of coming-of-age stories after my two favorite foods. Was I masterminding a dozen metaphors in terms of appetizers and condiments? Were the pits of these fruits symbolic of the pit young love had left in my stomach and heart?

Reflecting on those days, I feel a little foolish, a little nostalgic. But I also feel a little proud of my budding culinary instincts. Olives and avocados are still some of my favorites, and although I rarely enjoy the two together (I prefer avocados on my toast in the morning, and olives as a amuse-bouche at dinner), their connection back then instilled in me the importance of food pairings. Take, for instance, the almost prosaic PB & J. Good individually, yes; but together, stellar. The same has been said for eggs and toast, chips and salsa, and pie and coffee.

Zee herbs

Then there are the more organic couplings: apples and cheddar, fennel and orange, strawberries and tomato, to name a few. I know for some they might not hold the same appeal as the combinations we grew up with, the ones we know and trust. And yet, when sampled, it's as if the sky opens -- and to steal imagery from Margaret Atwood's "They Eat Out" -- "a voice sings Love Is A Many / Splendoured Thing."

I swear that very tune was playing this afternoon when I gorged myself on a corn and cucumber salad I made from my weekly CSA share. So fresh and tender, unguarded and full of surprises, this salad had me swooning over the buttery, young corn kernels; the bright, refreshing cucumber bits; and the earthy and intense herbs, such as purple basil, cilantro, dill and Italian parsley. It's easy to make, no recipe is really required. Simply chop a handful of fresh herbs and one large cucumber (I like the skins and seeds, but you can feel free to remove them), and add the raw kernels of two medium stalks of corn. I also threw in a couple cherry tomatoes, a handful of raw almonds and one diced scallion for a little bite. Mix with this dressing, and eat with whole leaves of lettuce or as a side to some tacos or even a sandwich.

Dive in. Head over heels, no holds barred, your stomach on your sleeve. Don't share.

Corn and cucumber salad

5 comments:

Nick Peets said...

Love your blog, Jenn. Keep 'em coming!

Donna said...

As always, you leave me wanting more. Not only to relish in your writing, but to also taste what you've so eloquently described. Bravo, my dear!!!

Michael said...

My favorite PB&J replacement are full leaves of dinosaur Kale filled with fresh ground almond butter that is lightly salted.

On the salad front - Every day this week I've been tearing up Kale, Lettuce, purple Basil and tossing it with cucumber, raw corn, hemp seeds, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and a spoon of tahini.

A.D. said...

You got corn in your CSA share this week? So jealous! Hoping I get some at my pick-up tonight!

http://worthmysalt.com

Unknown said...

"When I was in my early 20s, long before I fell for food" ...

... how I miss those times when life was so much simpler.